Welcome to Leoben for Researcher
Have a look at our detailed welcome guide.
Please prepare all necessary documents (e.g., Bachelor & Master certificates) to enrole as student at the MU Leoben.
Note that as PhD you need to attend some courses, seminars, etc. which requires this official registration as student.
All information below is relevant for new PhD students and post docs.
For guest researcher, please visit the site of our international department.
Organisational Steps before you arrive
For EU & Swiss Citizens:
- Get familiar with our Webpage and with the team.
- Get in contact with our secretary.
For Non-EU or Swiss Citizens:
- Get a Visa D for gainful employment (germ. VISUM D Erwerb) at an Austrian embassy.
Note that without that visa, it may take up to two months until you can sign your work contract, get an health insurance and, most importantly, get your first salary.
- With the Visa D for gainful employment, cou can immediately start to work and will have up to six month to get the Austrian residence permit at the local headquarters district (see below).
- Also all points like for EU & Swiss citizens.
Organisational Steps after your Arrival
There are a few very important things you need to do after you arrived. Please update the information if it is outdated.
1. Get a Certificate of Registration from your Landlord
Once you signed the contract for your room or flat in Austria, you get a Certificate of Registration (germ. Meldebestätigung). An example is shown in the Figure on the left. If you did not get such a certificate, just print the PDF and get it signed by your landlord.
2. Get a Registration Form from the City Hall
You need to go to the city hall (germ. Stadtgemeinde Leoben) to register your new main residence. You will receive a Registration form (germ. Meldebestätigung). An example is shown in the left panel.
3. VISA or Residence Permit for Researcher
- As European, you need to contact the district headquarters within 4 months after your arrival. Her is some description.
- As Non-European researcher you can apply for a Residence Permit for Researcher. Sadly, the government’s information page is only in german. Below we outline the necessary steps for Non-Europeans.
4. Get in contact via Email with the District Headquarters
To get a residence permit, you need to get in contact with the district headquarters Leoben (DH). Send them an Email or call them. The district headquarters will need from you:
- A copy of your passport.
- Your Work contract.
- Your Registration form.
Once you send all your files to the DH, they will send you an appointment date via email.
5. Documents required from Non-EU applicants
Find all important information on the page of the government.
In order to obtain a residence permit, you need to contact the Bezirkshauptmannschaft Leoben. Send them an email or call them. The best way is to call them and inform them about your visa status. They will send you and appointment and you will need to submit the following documents:
- Completed and signed application form
- Copy of valid travel document
- Birth certificate (with translation)
- Proof of criminal record from the place of your residence (with translation). Note in some cases also records from your home country are needed!
- Current passport photo in the size of 3,5 x 4,5 cm (not older than 6 months)
- City Registration certificate
- Proof of legal entitlement to accommodation in Austria: e.g. rental contract, housing rights agreement.
- Proof of health insurance valid in Austria (probably only possible after starting work)
- Original admission agreement with the University of Leoben
- Original employment contract with the University of Leoben
6. Send all your Files to Mrs. Hotter
Mrs. Hotter of the Montanuniversität Leoben is responsible for new employees. Send her your files asap.
Add Your Heading Text Here
Responsibilities & Contacts
This post provides information on whom to contact depending on your purpose.
Note that this post is continuously updated to keep the contact persons up-to-date.
If you discover out-dated information, please contact our secretary.
- CISCO telephone stations for new employees.
- Knowledge- and Technology Transfer & Business Partnerships
- MU Online Helpdesk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAP GUI MAC
- ZID, Walter Kräftner, email@example.com
Adding a New Thesis
As Ph.D. student and as senior research you will supervise undergraduate and graduate students.
Often students contact the chair and ask for thesis topics or even approach us with their own ideas. That’s great and the chair usually forwards these requests to Ph.Ds. and senior research to do research in that domain.
Once you agreed on a topic with a student, you will need to define a roadmap or thesis concept with the student.
The thesis topic will be published on our web page. Below are the instructions on how to do that.
Clone an Existing Thesis Post
The best strategy is to clone an existing post. Is this is new to you, follow our instructions in the linked post.
Select the Correct Category
Three categories are used for student theses:
For current ongoing theses use the first category, for open topics use the second, and for completed theses use the last category.
Mandatory Information of your Thesis Post
- The supervisors. Usually that are the chair and you.
- The start date.
- The end date for completed theses.
- An abstract.
- A Roadmap with mandatory and optional tasks.
- A list of related work.
Add the Student’s Contact Details
Add the name and email of the student to our CPS list for informing the student about upcoming talks and important internal issues.
Adding a New Publication
File Naming Conventions
First you need to give your pdf file a proper name, e.g., IROS2021Rueckert.pdf. Use the following naming convention
The ConferenceAcronym is for example ICRA, Humanoids, NeurIPS or for journals JMLR, RAL, etc.
YYYY denotes the year like 2021.
The FirstAuthorLastName might be followed by a keyword, if you have multiple papers at the same conference or journal.
Create also a Featured Image from taking a screenshot of your paper. Use the same filename as above with the image file type, e.g. IROS2021Rueckert.png.
Upload your files to the
Upload both files to the media library.
Add a new publication
- use the “Publications/Add new” plugin
- enter the title, Author, Date of publishing
- for type=Journal Article, enter volumne, number, doi
- for type=Inproceedings, enter the booktitle, address of the conference
- create the bibkey using the button
wp/AR2018Paraschos.pdf, Article File (replace the author name in the url)
Edit the Post in Elementor
- bookmarks: select add to your own list
- select at least one tag
- image URL=https://cps.unileoben.ac.at/
wp/AR2018Paraschos.png (replace the author name in the url)
- press the create button and you are DONE!
How to use our FRANKA EMIKA Panda
Franka World Account
- You will need a FCI (Feature) Licence.
- You can also access our FRANKA World Inventar.
- Account: your email, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org
- PW: you should get login instructions via email
- If don’t have an account, contact the chair.
Franka Emika Webinterface
To connect to the web interface, use the robot PC. Open the browser and visit the website: https://robot.franka.de/ or via IP 172.16.0.2 . The access data for the web interface are as follows:
Account name: CPSFranka
Getting started with the Guiding Mode
Before you start with the guiding mode you should get to know the status colors of the Franka Panda. You can find them in the picture below. In case of difficulties, the user manual on page 137 provides you with initial assistance.
In guiding mode, motion of the arm follows the corresponding guiding configuartion, which is displayed in the sidebar. The guiding configuration can be changed by pressing the guiding mode button on top of the grip. You can also select the guiding mode in the web interface.
- Translation: In this guiding mode, the arm can only be moved to change the Cartesian orientation of the hand; its orientation remains as it was before entering the guiding mode.
- Rotation: In this guiding mode, the arm can only be moved to change the Cartesian orientation of the end effector; its position remains as it was before entering guiding mode. The reference coordinate system for this rotation is the predefined coordinate system of the end effector.
- Free: The arm can be moved freely, all 7 joints can be moved.
- User: The user can define the guiding behavior in this guiding mode, meaning that it is possible to define for each Cartesian translation and rotation axis if the arm is moveable or immovable.
Teaching the Robot to Pass Through a Sequence of States
You can register a sequence of robot configurations as target states. These points can be autonomously approached, one after another.
Activating the Mode ‘Guide Task’
To set up a guide task, press the “+” button next to the tasks in the lower left part of the web interface. Next, you can add either a Cart Motion App or a Joint Motion App. After you have set up the task, you can begin the guidance process.
To start the guidance program, unlock the robot’s joints in the web interface and check that the two switches are off (on the right of the window). Next, open the first app of your task. Now you need to go to the robot and press the two buttons at the end of the end effector. Then move the robot arm to the first control point and press the “o” button on the control panel, repeat this process until you have completed your guidance program. Finally, press the green check button. Now you only have to enter the maximum speed and acceleration for your task and you are done with the first app. Use the same procedure for all apps. You can then return to the computer and start your program after unlocking the safety switch.
ATTENTION: Do not be in the robot’s danger zone at any time while your guidance program is running!
Adding a New Post Guidelines
Clone an Existing Post
The best strategy is to clone an existing post. Filter all post by your target category. Select a post and clone it.
Avoid Editing Simultaneously with Others a Post
Whenever you see the lock symbol, be careful. Contact the user first before you start editing the post.
Click on Edit and Select the Categories & Featured Image
In the right panel, you see the categories list (left image below) and the featured image tab.
Click on the publish button once you are done.
User Proper Filenames for Images
Please always give your images a proper filename. That will make it easier for all to reuse images.
Publish Your Post
Press the Publish button on the top right to save your post. Afterwards edit the content by pressing on the Elementor button in the center.
Edit the Post in Elementor
We use the Elementor plugin to format our content.
Use Titles, Inner Sections, Text Fields, Images, Videos and Shortcodes to present your content.
Adding Selected Publications to the Post
You can add publications to your post by pasting the following code into a shortcode element, enclosed by the parentheses [your code]
tplist include=”2,55,86″ entries_per_page=”5000″ image=”right” image_size=”150″ image_link=”self” template=”tp_template_2016″ link_style=”direct” as_filter=”true”
Make sure that you add the enclosing parentheses !
The publication ids can be found in the publication list.