Meeting on the 19th of July 2023
Location: Scholz Rohstoffhandel, Industriestraße 11, 2361 Laxenburg
Date & Time: 19th June 2023, 11am to 12pm
Participants: Melanie Neubauer, M.Sc.
Top 1: Notes
- Scholz processes about 30 thousand tons of scrap, about 1 million tons in Austria per year. Sources of scrap: consumers, industry, collection yards of municipalities, repair shops.
- Aluminium, Messing, Kupfer, Kunststoffe (Gummi), Draht – are the problematic components. Bateries and accumulators are also in the scrap and need to be sorted out. Copper is the most important part that must be removed, as this greatly affects the quality of the steel.
- Scrap consists of end-of-life vehicles and whole or crushed and from old household appliances. The cars are disassembled beforehand (tires, fluids, engine, etc.)
- This scrap is used to produce the so-called E40 material, for which there are EU guidelines, but the requirements of the steel producers are higher. The demands of steel and plastics manufacturers must be met. (single-variety) (EU – 2.5cm, Scholz – 10-15cm)
- Criteria in the steel plant: radioactivity, weight, visibility (copper!, plastics, rubber, substances)
- For the E40 material, 1 car and then 2 portions of household scrap are always put into the shredder. The 1:2 blends look about the same as just car scrap. Mixing is done to prevent canting in the shredder. By means of an eddy current separator (use air), the shredder output is divided into the light fraction and the E40 metal fraction. With the help of manual re-sorting, the quality of both outputs is improved. The re-sorting takes place on the two conveyor belts (light fraction, E40 fraction).
- The cameras for data acquisition should be implemented in the area at the hand sorting. If this does not work, a bypass can be created. Also tests can be carried out in the technical center with approx. 5000 stk scrap (Alexia says this is a suitable quantity).
- technical center in St. Michael owns: NIR, WIS, laser triangulation
- From next spring, cars will be more partially dismantled before shredding, there will be a re-data collection.
- Libs sensor: very complex and lengthy, has already been carried out at Scholz, silicon and magnesium are detected by it, laser shoots particles out of scrap particles and analyzes the composition
- MBT material: That waste which is removed from the household residual waste with the help of a magnet. This waste goes directly into the shredder, then metal is sorted out again, the rest goes back to the incinerator. (currently not relevant)
Meeting on the 20th of July 2023
- Organisatorial progress update by Melanie.
- Next steps of Melanie.
Top 1: Organisational Update
Update to the Visit to Scholz from 19th of July. (Images are in the Cloud under Projects/Kiramet)
Top 2: Next steps
- Paper for RAAD conference to be submitted. Deadline for submission is 12/20/2023.
- This should focus on one/ or more methods for segmentation of problematic particles in scrap.
- Topic: application of classification and segmentation to scrap particles.
- Methods used: Mask R-CNN, …
- The classes that occur are to be described.
- In the chapter Analyses will be analyzed how much of what is present in the sample in percent.
- First of all the paper should be written down in note form.
- Chapter: Introduction, Methods, Analyses, Summary….